Paul has a wide-ranging commercial practice with a strong focus on matters engaging cyber and technology issues. He is a domain expert on data and privacy matters and on the laws and regulations surrounding emerging technologies including blockchain, crypto, biometrics and artificial intelligence.
Paul has been complimented by clients for his ability to grapple with complex commercial cases and litigation involving multiple jurisdictions, and is regularly instructed to represent and advise clients, draft statements of case and deal with pre-action matters.
Paul’s recent work includes:
· Advising on the merits and remedies for a group action for the misuse of 400 celebrities’ personal data by analysing contracts, data flows and data usage practices against the relevant regulations to identify potential data breaches and rights violations.
· Advising on the tokenisation of a property portfolio valued at over £400m and the development of an associated digital trading platform to ensure the cryptoassets and other financial instruments intended to be traded on it satisfy regulatory requirements.
· Advising on a claim for breach of contract and intellectual property infringement for a company specialising in artificial intelligence technology.
· Defending a claim for breach of the Data Protection Acts 1998 and 2018 following the disclosure of customer financial data to a credit referencing agency.
· Advising on a whistleblowing claim for unauthorised acts causing serious damage and misuse of data under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 and General Data Protection Regulation.
· Advising on an injunction and on cross-jurisdictional enforcement issues for a claim for defamation involving libellous posts on social media and other online channels.
· Advising on a complex shareholder dispute involving claims for breach of contract and allegations of fraud among six development companies spanning three countries.
Before coming to the Bar, Paul worked across Europe and the US as a management consultant for Deloitte and other specialist consultancies where he developed extensive commercial experience leading projects to identify business opportunities, cost saving measures and new revenue streams.
Appointments & Memberships
· The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
· Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
· Society for Computers and Law (SCL)
· BCL (Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford)
· Bar Professional Training Course (The University of Law, London)
· LL.M (The University of Law, London)
· LL.B Hons (The University of Law, London)
Paul graduated from the University of Law with a First for his LL.B and a Distinction for his LL.M. He received the Chancellor of the University’s award for joint-highest scoring LL.B graduate and was awarded the University’s prize for coming top of his year in Immigration and Asylum during the BPTC.
Awards and Scholarships
· Exhibition Award Scholarship, The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
· Prize for best performance in Immigration and Asylum, The University of Law
· Award for Academic Excellence in Law, Ede and Ravenscroft
· Chancellor’s Award, The University of Law
Publications and podcasts
· Data privacy and international data transfers (Podcast for the Tech Disputes Network, August 2020)
· Automating bias? Facial recognition and other technologies (New Law Journal, August 2020)
· Zoom: Why companies need to design with data protection in mind (From Counsel, April 2020)
· Remote working: A risky business? (New Law Journal, April 2020)