Jamsheed is a dual-qualified barrister. He has been a member of the Bar of England and Wales since 2002 and a member of the Mauritian Bar since 2006.
He was trained at a leading commercial, banking and finance set in London and in the International Arbitration Group of a magic-circle international law firm.
He has worked on a wide range of high-profile matters, often relating to or within the African continent, in various sectors and areas including infrastructure, mergers and acquisitions, corporate and offshore, hotel and tourism, shipping and fisheries, construction, technology products, renewable energy and mining.
Jamsheed is familiar with most leading international arbitration rules. He is a member of the ICC Commision on Arbitration and ADR and a Vice-President of the MARC Advisory Board.
Jamsheed is fully bilingual (English and French) and splits his time between London and Mauritius.His practice covers both contentious and advisory or transactional matters.
- Acting on several international commercial and investment arbitrations in the International Arbitration Group of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in Paris
- Lead counsel successfully resisting an application to set aside a MARC international arbitration award, instructed as lead counsel in ongoing appeal before Privy Council
- Lead counsel in one of the first international arbitrations under the LCIA-MIAC Rules involving complex issues under Mauritian and French laws of contract
- Co-counsel for Hewlett-Packard in an appeal on the validity of a Swiss arbitration clause relating to the setting-up of a Data Recovery Centre in Ebene Cybercity
- Lead counsel for TUI France in seeking interim measures and enforcing an ICC Award
- Lead counsel for a sovereign fund resisting enforcement of an ICC award
- Co-counsel in an ad hoc arbitration relating to the faulty construction of a warehouse
- Advising on a potential investor-state arbitration under the India-Mauritius BIT
- Lead counsel for a public utility provider in ad hoc arbitration on salary and pensions
- Lead counsel in an application for interim measures in support of ad hoc arbitration
- Acting on a request to an arbitral tribunal to revise its award issued in Hong Kong
- Acting on an arbitration seated in London in relation to the international sale of gas
- Acting on an arbitration in London on defective technology product distribution
- Advising on two different types of renewable energy projects in an African country
- Counsel for an international investor seeking recovery of investments and assets from a complex “Paradise Papers” scheme
- Advising on a number of international contracts for the procurement of maritime security and for the hire of seafarers
- Acting under the instructions of the HMRC (UK) as Expert Witness on Mauritian Tax Law and Trusts in several appeal proceedings relating to the international taxation of trusts set up under the “Round the World Scheme”
- Advising a company listed on the New York Stock Exchange on corporate governance
- Advising on foreign investments in the gold mining sector of an African country
- Counsel in a statutory demand against a government-controlled bank for payment owed under a bank guarantee issued in support of ICC arbitration proceedings
- Advising on a merger of an Indian company and a Mauritian company in the oil and gas construction and infrastructure sector
- Counsel for an insurance company resisting payment under a performance bond
- Acting for a sovereign fund with investments in numerous African countries in a corporate governance dispute in South Africa
- Counsel for a consortium of importers challenging regulations on Japan-made vehicles
- Advising a leading international group in the global energy sector in setting up a corporate structure for the African market
- Advising Soletanche Bachy in an international bid to extend the Port Louis harbour in Mauritius
- Assisting on a ship-building international dispute before English commercial courts
Appointments & Memberships
Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
Vice-President of the MARC Advisory Board