Heidi has a broad international and commercial disputes practice. Heidi has more than 12 years of experience as a counsel in complex and high-value international arbitration disputes, both of a private and public law nature. She is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and regularly acts as an arbitrator. Heidi previously practised as a solicitor and she is also a qualified Finnish attorney with full rights of audience at Finnish courts.
As counsel, Heidi has represented a broad range of clients across a range of different industry sectors in institutional arbitrations conducted under the ICC, LCIA, DIS, FAI, UNCITRAL and PCA Rules as well as ad hoc arbitrations, governed by a variety of substantive and procedural laws. In addition, she has gained a broad commercial litigation experience at all stages of a dispute and at all levels of court in Finland.
Prior to joining 36 Stone, Heidi worked nearly ten years at a leading Finnish firm, Dittmar & Indrenius in Helsinki. Prior to that Heidi trained and qualified as a solicitor in the London office of Wilmer Hale and upon qualification in 2009 practiced international arbitration there until 2011. Her experience at WilmerHale included working as part of a team that successfully represented SPLM/A in the ground-breaking Abyei boundary delimitation proceedings against the Government of Sudan conducted under the auspices of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
During her time at Dittmar & Indrenius in Helsinki, Finland, Heidi worked on a number of notable cases including the following:
- As a lead counsel successfully acted for a long-standing Finnish manufacturer in potential FAI and LCIA arbitration proceedings against several European subsidiaries of a Chinese long-established manufacturing company, arising from the parties' joint projects in several European locations, governed by both Finnish and English law. Secured a highly successful settlement of the dispute;
- As a co-counsel advised and represented a leading global IT services company in ICC arbitration proceedings against a major Nordic telecommunications company, seated in Helsinki and governed by Finnish law, arising from services agreements in the telecommunications field. The team secured a successful settlement of the dispute;
- Advised a leading Nordic publicly listed telecommunications company in potential ICC arbitration proceedings, seated in Helsinki and governed by Finnish law, arising from a joint-venture agreement in the technology sector;
- Advised an European construction company in potential ICC arbitration proceedings, seated in Helsinki and governed by Finnish law, arising from a FIDIC contract relating to a construction of a renewable energy oil refinery;
- Acted as a sole arbitrator in FAI arbitration proceedings between a Finnish innovations consultancy company and a Finnish carpentry company in a dispute over a consultancy agreement, seated in Helsinki and governed by Finnish law;
- As a lead counsel successfully advised and acted for an acclaimed airline in a highly unusual dispute arising from a terrorist attack in an African state. Secured a highly favourable settlement of the dispute;
- As a co-lead counsel, successfully acted for a major Finnish Media Corporation in FAI arbitration proceedings against a Swedish publicly listed Media Company and its Finnish subsidiary in a dispute over domain name licence and associated trademark rights, arising from an asset purchase agreement, sited in Helsinki. Also successfully acted for the same client in related interim injunction proceedings at all procedural stages, including the Supreme Court of Finland, as well trademark proceedings in the Market Court in Finland and arbitral award enforcement proceedings in the District Court of Helsinki and Svea Court of Appeal in Stockholm;
- As a co-lead counsel advised and represented several global insurance companies and owners of oil and chemical tankers, flagged in Malta, against a leading global provider of marine and energy solutions and services in a multi-million euro maritime dispute in the District Court of Pohjanmaa, concerning the supply of unfit propulsion systems to the tankers. Secured a successful partial settlement of the dispute;
- As a co-lead counsel, successfully advised and acted for a leading global bio and forest products company in a multi-million euro International Arbitration under the FAI Rules, arising from supply and purchase agreement relating to the construction of a state-of-art biorefinery, governed by Finnish law, sited in Helsinki;
- As a co-lead counsel, successfully advised and acted for a Finnish subsidiary of a leading global technology company in an International Ad Hoc Arbitration dispute arising from a purchase contract relating to a large construction project in the Middle East, sited in Helsinki;
- Successfully advised and acted for a major European manufacturer in a multimillion euro international ad hoc arbitration concerning the supply of a production line to a Finnish Company, sited in Helsinki;
- Successfully advised and represented an English subsidiary of a leading international construction company in a multimillion-euro ICC Arbitration dispute against a leading constructor of power plants, arising from a supply and purchase agreement in the construction field, sited in Stockholm. Also represented the same client in Finnish court litigation proceedings concerning a claim for unjust enrichment brought by the parent company of the same opponent. During her time at WilmerHale in London, Heidi worked on a number of notable cases, including the following:
- Successfully represented SPLM/A in boundary arbitration proceedings with the Government of Sudan (the Abyei arbitration, PCA);
- Successfully advised and represented a cargo airline in an LCIA Arbitration dispute concerning an aircraft lease agreement, sited in London;
- Successfully advised and represented an international media company in a multi-million euro International Arbitration dispute arising from a joint venture agreement in the telecommunications field, governed by the DIS Rules, sited in Germany.
Appointments & Memberships
- The Bar Council of England and Wales
- Law Society of England and Wales
- The Honourable Society of Inner Temple, London
- The Finnish Bar Association
- A fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- International Bar Association
- Arbitral Women
- Young Arbitrators Stockholm
- the Finnish Arbitration Association