Doran is an arbitrator with over 40 years of experience as an English-qualified legal practitioner based in London and Moscow. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
His practice focuses on the following areas.
- Russia and CIS
He has been working in and with Russia and other countries of the CIS since 1991. His experience includes being
- senior partner of the combined Dentons Moscow office (2013-17) and managing partner of the legacy Denton Wilde Sapte and SNR Denton offices (2001-12);
- head of office and head of corporate in Allen & Overy Moscow (1995-8), having been closely involved in establishing the office in 1993.
- Oil and gas
He has dealt with oil and gas related legal work in-house and in private practice, in the UK and internationally, starting in 1975. He was at Burmah/BNOC/Britoil (a single employment, subject to takeover and privatisation, from1975 to 1986) and subsequently Allen & Overy and Dentons (including legacy Denton Hall, Denton Wilde Sapte and SNR Denton) from 1986 until March 2019. His clients have included IOCs, NOCs, independent explorers and producers, traders and supply and service companies. He has experience upstream, midstream and downstream.
- Banking and finance
For five years after the Financial Services Act 1986 came into force, he was on the three-man Allen & Overy team advising the whole firm on financial services and regulatory matters
At Denton Wilde Sapte during the ‘00s, he managed one of the leading banking and finance legal practices in Russia, including trade and structured commodities finance, ECA financings, project financing and aviation finance. His clients have included commercial banks, investment banks, multilateral development banks, export credit agencies, brokers and dealers.
- Commodities and shipping
Combining his experience in-house (oil trading contracts, lifting and terminal procedures) and in private practice (financial services regulation – including commodities trading and derivatives), he can deal with a wide range of commodities and shipping disputes.
He has extensive experience of M&A in the oil and gas and other industries in the UK and in Russia, including some of the largest M&A deals in the latter country in 2004 (tobacco) and in 2015 and 2016 (oil).
- Best Lawyers 2020: listed among the best lawyers in Corporate law in Russia
- Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2019: rated as an Eminent Practitioner in Energy & Natural Resources in Russia
- Who’s Who Legal: Energy 2019: leading lawyer in Energy in Russia
- IFLR1000 2019: leading expert in Energy and Natural Resources in Russia
- Euromoney Expert Guide to Energy and Natural Resources Lawyers 2018: leading expert in Energy and Natural Resources in Russia
- Lecture on “Russia: Rule of Law or Legal Nihilism?” at the Law Faculty and the Said Business School at the University of Oxford (November 2014) and at Queen Mary University of London (December 2018)
- Lecturer at the annual UK oil and gas law seminar for new entrants to the industry given by the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy at the University of Dundee (1999-2013)
- Fellow of the Society of Advanced Legal Studies (FSALS) at the University of London
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – Diploma in International Arbitration
- University of London – LL.B.
- Oxford University – BA and MA (Philosophy, Politics and Economics)
- Dartmouth College – AB magna cum laude (major in History)
- Barrister (Lincoln’s Inn) called 1973, re-qualified as a Solicitor in 1987; currently practices as a Barrister
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)