Richard Wilson QC, LL.D is a Commercial, Public and Administrative law and Employment specialist. He is also often instructed in cases that require interpretation of written instruments (contracts, statutes, European Union directives etc.).
He has been involved in some landmark decisions in the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom and the Court of Appeal on a range of matters, including: the interpretation of the European Union Reception Directive, the misuse of confidential information and account of profits as a remedy, and the principles governing the entitlement to costs in judicial review cases (see ‘Notable Cases’ section below).
Richard’s principal area of practice as a barrister and mediator are commercial disputes. He has experience of domestic and international disputes (e.g. distributorship agreements, sale of goods and services, agency agreements, employment issues, property and inheritance, personal injury, regulatory disputes etc).
The Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) "have led the field of conflict management and resolution for 25 years". During his CEDR mediation accreditation process, Richard was graded "outstanding" in a number of categories.
He was formally assessed as a mediator that:
· "Combines sound legal analysis with a practical approach to the commercial realities"
· "Brings a quiet gravitas to the mediation. Utterly impartial and non-judgmental language throughout"
· "Has a Superb questioning style (concise, clear and relevant)"
· "Is Calm and confident. Built good rapport"
· "Kept options open and let the parties determine content"
· "Generated atmosphere of problem solving"
· "Produced ‘good precise terms’ for draft settlement agreement"
"Thank you for your patience and persistence which, coupled with necessary wise counsel at strategic moments, proved highly instrumental in procuring a settlement which seemed very unlikely indeed at an earlier stage"
"The dispute has been satisfactorily settled. I believe that your assistance played a very considerable part in achieving this and I am really grateful to you for it"
- Commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation
- Employment law claims for breach of contract, unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and race discrimination. Especially in cases involving professionals (doctors, teachers. bankers etc.)
- Public and Administrative law, particularly commercial judicial review claims
- Law and regulations relating to the onshore extraction of Shale Gas and Oil
Lawyer Legal Roundup
Brexit judgment: oil and water don’t mix
Richard Wilson QC writes on the Brexit Supreme Court judgment
Criminal Judicial Review
Contributing Author of Criminal Judicial Review (Hart Publishing), author of Chapter on ‘Judicial Review: An Introduction to the Key Principles’
From the Foreword by The Rt Hon Lord Judge: “The book is offered in clear and simple style, focussing less on esoteric theoretical considerations and more on the practical needs of the practitioner… It will assist with the preparation of arguments, and also enable submissions which are unarguable to be discarded. It will therefore provide valuable guidance in this broad and developing area of practice.”
Commercial & Mercantile Courts Litigation Practice
THE FUTURE OF LEGAL SERVICES AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The Oil, Gas, Energy & Sustainability Law Converzacione II
Fracking - An Introduction to the the Law and Regulations relating to the Onshore Extraction of Shale Gas and Oil in England
Overview of the Law and Regulations relating to the onshore extraction of Shale Gas and Oil
Judicial Review in Procurement and Commercial Cases
Local Authorities, Restricted Legal Services and Alternative Business Structures
The New CPR Part 36 - Eight Key Changes
Is Proportionality differently applied by the Luxembourg and Strasbourg Courts?
Commercial Judicial Review: Scope, Regulation and Public Procurement
Appointments & Memberships
- Recorder of the County Court (Civil)
- Recorder of the Crown Court (Crime)
- Visiting Professor of Law (Coventry University)
- Bar of England and Wales
- Bar of Belize, Central America
- Bar of Guyana, South America
- London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Bar European Group
- International Bar Association (IBA)