In his career spanning 35+ years he has served the following positions:
- Lifetime Individual Member of the Indian Arbitration Council
- Senior Member Executive, Delhi Bar Association
- Standing Counsel for the Central Government of India.
- Counsel for the Hon’ble Governor of Uttar Pradesh to represent the Universities of State of Uttar Pradesh in litigations at the Supreme Court of India.
- Senior counsel for Government of India in Delhi High Court for conducting various civil, contract and arbitration matters for the Government of India (2009-12) (http://lawmin.nic.in/la/panelcounsel/report-highspc.htm)
- Designated as Senior Advocate by full reference of the Delhi High Court by Order (2009)
- Mr. Sharma is the first legal counsel in Indian legal history to have secured an anticipatory bail under the Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act 2002. He received widespread national recognition in the local and national media.
- Mr. Sharma was the first counsel to file and fight a case under the Debt Recovery Act for a consortium consisting of Industrial and Financial Corporation of India (IFCI), Industrial and Development Bank of India (IDBI) and Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI).
- Mr. Sharma has more than 100 reported judgments spanning commercial law, civil, arbitration, probate, family, banking, financial, property, construction, real estate, injunction, writs, Special Leave Petitions in the Supreme Court and various High Courts across India.
Clientele and current practice
- Mr. Sharma, on his own, is regularly briefed by top lawyers and law firms across India in complex commercial, civil and financial litigation matters almost daily before the Supreme Court of India, High Courts across India, Debt Recovery Tribunal and Debt Recovery Appellate Tribunal, various Company Law Boards and other financial tribunals.
- He continues to be a favorite Senior Counsel regularly engaged for complex arbitration- related litigation cases.
- Very recently, Mr. Sharma won an arbitral award for an Australian origin- now Korean owned engineering firm in an ad-hoc arbitration against a State Government in India.
- He is currently engaged as counsel of similar commercial arbitrations.
- In the past, he has represented various banking and non-banking financial institutions, high net worth individuals, and public sector undertakings of the Government of India in multiple arbitrations (domestic and international) as counsel.
- An increasingly international clientele and his recent panel appointments as Legal Counsel to a number of Government Public Sector Undertakings having operations globally, have motivated Mr. Sharma to develop and expand his international commercial arbitration practice.