Simren prosecutes and defends predominantly in the Crown Court across a spectrum of criminal law, with recent instructions including: robbery; weapons offences; and violence.
During pupillage, Simren gained experience in cases of serious violence, including: attempted murder; firearms; and money laundering. During second six, he gained experience in the Magistrates’ and Youth Courts, across of range of offences including: domestic violence; sexual offences; and dangerous dogs.
Before coming to the Bar, Simren worked as a paralegal at Keoghs assessing RTA claims on behalf of defendant insurer clients with a view to negotiating settlement, in the first instance, before instructing and briefing Counsel.
He also has previously worked a Specialist Support Worker for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, providing respite care, and has a particular ability to build rapport with vulnerable individuals.
Appointments & Memberships
- Middle Temple
- Grade 1 Prosecutor
- Criminal Bar Association
R v JH – Colchester Magistrates’ Court – 2022
Defended an individual charged with assaulting another, who happened to be an off-duty police officer of 20 years' experience. Successfully raised self-defence, despite the Complainant’s account being supported by his wife, resulting in JH’s acquittal.
R v AD – Northampton Crown Court – 2022
Defended a young man at sentence, convicted of 2 counts of concern in the supply of Class A drugs. He had committed these offences whilst in the currency of a 2 years’ suspended sentence for possession with intent to supply Class A drugs. After mitigation, the Court agreed with the submission that whilst the appropriate starting point was 4 years’ 6 months, a custodial sentence would not meet AD’s rehabilitative needs. The Court imposed a 2 years’ suspended sentence order.
- 2019 - BPP University Manchester – BPTC – Very Competent
- 2018 - University of Manchester – M.Phil – A(i) Pass with no corrections – Thesis Title - ‘Responsibility, Insanity, and Detention: Dealing with the psychopathic offender’
- 2016 - University of Manchester – Law LLB – First Class Honours
Awards and Scholarships
- Sir Joseph Cantley Memorial Scholarship – Middle Temple (2017)
- BPP Advocacy Award and BPP Excellence Award (2016)
- Winner – OUP & BPP National Mooting Competition (2015/16) https://blog.oup.com/2016/07/mooting-competition-oup-manchester-2016/
- Punjabi - Fluent