Lydia is building a litigation and arbitration practice in wet and dry shipping, commodities, and international trade matters. She has gained experience in a broad range of work in these specialist fields and in general commercial and international law throughout her pupillage.
Before joining 36 Stone, Lydia spent two years studying at the Sorbonne in Paris for a Masters in French Law. She has been exposed to international private law, commercial law and tort from an English and French perspective and is developing a practice with a strong international element.
Lydia can accept instructions in all areas of Chambers’ work.
During pupillage, Lydia has produced a wide range of work including skeleton arguments, arbitral submissions, pleadings and advices. She has experienced a variety of cases, including cargo claims, general average claims, charterparty disputes and jurisdictional matters.
Lydia has assisted her supervisors with notable cases including:
- An ICC arbitration (English seat, Ghanaian law) arising out of contract for the construction of hospitals;
- An arbitration arising out of the delay of a vessel as a result of a port-imposed quarantine following an outbreak of Covid-19 onboard;
- An advice on the impact of Brexit on the Limitation Act 1980;
- An arbitration arising out of a contract for the sale of ammunition with allegations of bribery and fraud;
- A dispute concerning the arrest of a vessel and the applicability of Regulation No. 1215/2021 on jurisdiction and the recognition and enforcement of judgments in civil and commercial matters (Recast);
- A challenge under s67 of the Arbitration Act 1996 to an arbitral award allegedly rendered without jurisdiction;
- An arbitration arising out of a dispute as to the existence and terms of a contract for the purchase of petroleum coke; and
- An interim injunction claim for a freezing order to prevent the dissipation of assets in Dubai.
Appointments & Memberships
The Honourable Society of Gray's Inn
2020 – BPP University – LLM Legal Practice (Barristers) – Distinction
2019 – Université Paris I, Panthéon Sorbonne – Maîtrise en Droit – Mention Assez Bien
2019 – King’s College London – LLB English and French Law – First Class Honours
2018 – Université Paris I, Panthéon Sorbonne – Licence 3 en Droit – Mention Assez Bien
Awards and Achievements
2019 – Lord Justice Holker Scholarship – The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
2019 – Career Commitment Scholarship – BPP University London
2016 – Winner of Essex Court Chambers Commercial Law Moot
2015-2019 – Dickson Poon Scholar – King’s College London, Dickson Poon School of Law
French – Professional Proficiency
German – Elementary Proficiency
Russian – Elementary Proficiency