John is a commercial litigator who specialises in shareholder and partnership disputes, director and employee duties, business protection and employment law.
John has a wealth of trial experience and is often instructed in matters where there is an overlap with director’s duties and other fields of law such as insolvency and company law matters.
- Commercial Litigation
- Shareholder and Partnership Disputes
- Business Protection
Appointments & Memberships
- Inner Temple
- Midland Circuit
- Employment Lawyers Association
Solanki v Intercity Technology Ltd and Guidinglight Finance Ltd  EWCA Civ 101
Successfully acted for the Defendant in setting aside Judgment of nearly £300,000 in respect of a restraint of trade claim.
Jadebay v Clarke-Coles  EWHC 1400 IPEC
Acted for the Defendant in this first of a kind misrepresentation/passing off case concerning sales on Amazon. Matter currently being appealed to the Court of Appeal.
Barone v DHR International  EWHC 2419 (Ch)
Instructed by the Claimant in piercing the corporate veil claim and serving out of jurisdiction.
Madani Schools Federation v Uddin  UKEAT/1094/16/BA
Successfully acted for the Respondent on appeal concerning the correct interpretation of s.15 of the Equality Act 2010.
Sajid v Bond Adams Solicitors LLP  UKEAT/0196/15/BA
Acted for the Respondent in a claim dealing with when a discrimination claim can be struck out.
W v S– Birmingham DR – August 2016
Instructed by the Claimant, an internet service provider, in its unlawful interference and breach of confidence claim against another internet provider. Value of the claim £500,000. Settled on terms at trial.
Liberio v RIC Ltd  UKEAT/0076/14/BA
Successfully acted for the Claimant in the Respondent’s appeal concerning when adjournments should be granted.
Richards v AJ Smith & Co.  UKEAT/1374/13
Successfully acted for the Respondent in this equal pay appeal after arguing that the Claimant had not presented her equal pay claim at the Employment Tribunal.
Sharma & Kuruppu v Simposh  EWCA Civ 1383
Leading case on return of non-refundable property deposits.
Bellway Homes Ltd v Miller  UKEAT/0309/09/CEA
Successfully acted for the Claimant in her indirect sex discrimination claim in both the Employment Tribunal and the EAT.
- Acting for a director in a significant derivative action claim in the oil and gas sector;
- Acting for a partner in a complex partnership dispute concerning numerous allegations of fraud and failing to account;
- Successfully acting for the former directors in striking out a winding up petition against a wound-up company;
- Acting for directors in applying to set aside various resolutions made by a company;
- Acting for a Claimant in a significant whistleblowing case – matter listed for trial for 15 days later on in the year.