John is a commercial litigator who specialises in shareholder and partnership disputes, director and employee duties, business protection and employment law. In addition John deals with all probate matters.
John has a wealth of trial experience and is often instructed in matters where there is an overlap with director’s duties and other fields of law such as insolvency and company law matters.
John also has a significant media and information practice including defamation, data protection and breach of confidence and is regularly instructed to advice individuals and businesses on personal and business matters. In addition John has developed a growing procurement practice and regularly advises public bodies on all aspects of the procurement process.
- Commercial Litigation
- Shareholder and Partnership Disputes
- Business Protection
Appointments & Memberships
- Inner Temple
- Midland Circuit
- Employment Lawyers Association
Solanki v Intercity Technology Ltd and Guidinglight Finance Ltd  EWCA Civ 101
Successfully acted for the Defendant in setting aside Judgment of nearly £300,000 in respect of a restraint of trade claim.
Jadebay v Clarke-Coles  EWHC 1400 IPEC
Acted for the Defendant in this first of a kind misrepresentation/passing off case concerning sales on Amazon. Matter currently being appealed to the Court of Appeal.
Barone v DHR International  EWHC 2419 (Ch)
Instructed by the Claimant in piercing the corporate veil claim and serving out of jurisdiction.
Madani Schools Federation v Uddin  UKEAT/1094/16/BA
Successfully acted for the Respondent on appeal concerning the correct interpretation of s.15 of the Equality Act 2010.
Sajid v Bond Adams Solicitors LLP  UKEAT/0196/15/BA
Acted for the Respondent in a claim dealing with when a discrimination claim can be struck out.
W v S– Birmingham DR – August 2016
Instructed by the Claimant, an internet service provider, in its unlawful interference and breach of confidence claim against another internet provider. Value of the claim £500,000. Settled on terms at trial.
Liberio v RIC Ltd  UKEAT/0076/14/BA
Successfully acted for the Claimant in the Respondent’s appeal concerning when adjournments should be granted.
Richards v AJ Smith & Co.  UKEAT/1374/13
Successfully acted for the Respondent in this equal pay appeal after arguing that the Claimant had not presented her equal pay claim at the Employment Tribunal.
Sharma & Kuruppu v Simposh  EWCA Civ 1383
Leading case on return of non-refundable property deposits.
Bellway Homes Ltd v Miller  UKEAT/0309/09/CEA
Successfully acted for the Claimant in her indirect sex discrimination claim in both the Employment Tribunal and the EAT.
- Acting for a director in a significant derivative action claim in the oil and gas sector;
- Acting for a partner in a complex partnership dispute concerning numerous allegations of fraud and failing to account;
- Successfully acting for the former directors in striking out a winding up petition against a wound-up company;
- Acting for directors in applying to set aside various resolutions made by a company;
- Acting for a Claimant in a significant whistleblowing case – matter listed for trial for 15 days later on in the year.
- Advising large firm of solicitors over on-line negative comments.
- Advising a national Union over various sensitive subject access requests.
- Advising a local authority on the legality of a large procurement exercise.