John Reeder's practice is split between acting as an arbitrator and mediator and accepting instructions as counsel from overseas lawyers and clients in all types of shipping and commercial disputes.
As counsel he established a wide ranging practice covering all aspects of shipping and other commercial fields. In particular, he has been concerned with a large number of shipboard fires, explosions, collisions, total losses, damage claims, ship construction disputes and technical cases involving fire, unseaworthiness, stability, oil shortage, speed claims, rust and cargo fermentation. He has also acted as counsel in major inquiries into shipping casualties - as far away as Papua New Guinea.
Much of his technical expertise has been derived from collision and salvage cases but also from public inquiries into shipping casualties from the Penlee Lifeboat Inquiry in 1982, the square rigged sail training barque Marques to the Herald of Free Enterprise in 1987 and the Marchioness in 2001. As a result he is particularly familiar with naval architecture and ship construction.
John Reeder QC spent 17 years as Lloyd's Salvage Arbitrator and now accepts appointments as arbitrator in all types of shipping and commercial matters. He also acts as a mediator in shipping, commercial and other disputes.
- Advice on operation of time bar in charter dispute.
- Advice on true construction of charterparty deductions clause.
- DC Merwestone: marine insurance claim for damage, sue and labour expenses and general average.
- Advice on incorporation of terms into a contract, impacting on jurisdiction.
- Advice on true construction of payment terms under a commercial contract.
- Resolution of dispute concerning mistake as to parties.
- Major dispute as to the terms and operation of a ship sale contract.
- Resolution of dispute concerning commission on aircraft leasing agreement.
- Resolution of dispute for wrongful detention of containers and non-payment of hire charges.
- Advice on correct basis of ship valuation where vessel subject to long term charter.
- Counsel in three major collisions.
- Counsel in three LOF Arbitrations.
- Advising on conflict between practice and principle in ship sales by the Court.
- Advice on construction of the SCOPIC Clause.
- Advice on a LOF dispossession claim.