Emily is a specialist family law leading junior who acts in a wide range of complex and sensitive cases relating to private and public law children. She regularly appears in the High Court and has acted in a number of very significant cases in the Court of Appeal.
Emily is Directory Ranked as a Leading Junior. She has a loyal following of excellent solicitors, many of whom are top ranked, with whom she works closely.
Private law children:
- Child Arrangements especially complex cases which require separate representation of children, involve domestic abuse and/or parental alienation. Emily has a particular interest in the application of Practice Direction 12J to cases which involve allegations of domestic abuse, including coercive or controlling behaviour.
- National and international relocation.
- Family Law Act proceedings including representing those seeking or responding to applications for injunctive relief or occupation orders relating to the family home.
Emily is frequently instructed on behalf of vulnerable adults or children and is particularly sensitive to clients with learning disabilities, special needs or mental heath difficulties. She has frequently been instructed to act through the Official Solicitor when a client lacks litigation capacity.
- International child abduction
- Inherent Jurisdiction & wardship
Care, placement and adoption proceedings acting on behalf of guardians, parents, other family members and local authorities. Emily’s cases often involve non accidental injury or death, sexual abuse or fabricated and induced illness.
Emily has a particular interest and specialism in Human Rights and has repeatedly secured Declarations and Damages on behalf of parents and children.
Private Client Business, Family Issue 4, 2015
International Surrogacy’s ‘Ticking Time Bomb’
Debenhams Ottaway - Family Law Update January 2016
Children Law Update and Developments – child abduction
Hertfordshire County Council training September 2015
Threshold & Interim removal
Care seminar September 2015
Hilton Metropole, Brighton
Sole Practitioners Group – Update on Family Law
Annual conference held in Paris May 2015
Simon Gore Events – Mid Year Family Law Conference
Seminar at Thistle Hotel, Holborn June 2014(Parental responsibility and orders, legal parentage & surrogacy)
Appointments & Memberships
- Family Law Bar Association
- Middle Temple
B (A Child) (care proceedings) [2018) EWCA Civ 20
H (A Child – Hair Strand Testing)  EWEFC 64
Re T (a Child) (Early Permanence Placement)  EWCA Civ 983
Adoption – early permanent placement, child placed with prospective adopters at birth. Care plan altered to SGO in favour of paternal grandparents. Whether the adopters ought to have been joined to the proceedings, whether the adopters should have been granted leave to apply for an adoption order
Re SSM (A Child)  EWHC 327 (Fam)
Re R (a Child) (2014) EWCA Civ 1625
Appeal by mother following care and placement orders. Consideration by the President of wider implications of Re B-S and the post Re B-S ‘landscape’.
Middle Temple Harmsworth Scholarship