Privacy Notice for Member ICO PDF
Thank you for choosing to instruct me in your case. I will need to collect and hold your personal information in order to deal with your matter. I will take all possible steps to protect your personal information. I am determined to do nothing that would infringe your rights or undermine your trust. This Privacy Notice describes the information I collect about you, how it is used and shared, and your rights regarding it.
I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as a Data Controller for the personal data that I hold and process as a barrister. My registered address is 4 Field Court, Gray's Inn, London WC1R 5EF and my registration number is
All the information that I hold about you is provided to or gathered in the course of your case and/or proceedings. Your solicitor and/or I will tell you why we need the information and how we will use it.
Our Lawful Basis for processing your information
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires all organisations that process personal data to have a Lawful Basis for doing so. The Lawful Bases identified in the GDPR are:
- Consent of the data subject
- Performance of a contract with the data subject or to take steps to enter into a contract
- Compliance with a legal obligation
- To protect the vital interests of a data subject or another person
- Performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
- The legitimate interests of ourselves, or a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests, rights or freedoms of the data subject
Examples of legitimate interests include:
- Where the data subject is a client or in the service of the controller
- Transmission within a group of undertakings for internal administrative purposes
- Processing necessary to ensure network and information security, including preventing unauthorised access
- Processing for direct marketing purposes, or to prevent fraud
- Reporting possible criminal acts or threats to public security
My lawful basis is your consent, performance of (or steps to enter into) the contract between us, compliance with my legal obligations as a barrister regulated by the Bar Standards Board and my Legitimate Interest is that you are my client and it is required for the efficient conduct of my practice and to fulfil my professional obligation both to you and to the professional bodies which regulate me.
I may use your information to:
- Provide legal advice and representation
- Assist in training pupils and mini-pupils
- Investigate and address your concerns
- Communicate with you about news, updates and events
- Investigate or address legal proceedings or complaints relating to your use of my services/products, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law
- Make statutory returns as required by the Bar Standards Board, my indemnity insurers and HM Revenue and Customs
- To ensure that I do not enter into any other contracts or agreements which may create a conflict of interests between the duties I owe to you and to another person
I do not use automated decision-making in the processing of your personal data.
I collect and process both personal data and special categories of personal data as defined in the GDPR.
This may include:
- Phone Number
- Payment or bank details
- Date of birth
- Location details
- Device IP address
- Financial information
- Medical records
- Criminal records
I may share your personal data with:
- Instructing solicitors
- Pupil or mini pupil, under my training
- Opposing Counsel, for the purposes of resolving the case
- My Chambers management and staff who provide administrative services
- My regulator or legal advisors in the event of a dispute or other legal matter
- Law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties to meet my legal obligations
- Any other party where I ask you and you consent to the sharing
Transfers to third countries and organisations
I do not routinely transfer your personal data to third countries or international organisations.
In the event I would need to do so I will ensure that such transferred data is fully protected and safeguarded as required by the General Data Protection Regulation.
I retain your personal data while you remain a client unless you ask me to delete it.
My Retention and Disposal Policy (copy available on request) details how long I hold data for and how I dispose of it when it no longer needs to be held. I will delete or anonymise your information at your request unless:
- There is an unresolved issue, such as claim or dispute
- I am legally required to
- There are overriding legitimate business interests, including but not limited to fraud prevention and protecting customers safety and security
The General Data Protection Regulation gives you specific rights around your personal data. For example, you have to be informed about the information I hold and what I use it for, you can ask for a copy of the personal information I hold about you, you can ask us to correct any inaccuracies with the personal data I hold, you can ask me to stop sending you direct mail, or emails, or in some circumstances ask me to stop processing your details. Finally, if I do something irregular or improper with your personal data you can seek compensation for any distress you are caused or loss you have incurred. You can find out more information from the ICO’s website https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/ and this is the organisation that you can complain to if you are unhappy with how I dealt with you.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may request access to, correction of, or a copy of your information by contacting me or my clerks.
You may opt out of receiving emails and other messages from my Chambers by following the instructions in those messages.
- Determine frequency of accessing our content
- Measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Analyse site visits and trends
I will occasionally update my Privacy Notice. When I make significant changes, I will notify you of these by publishing the latest version on my web profile at https://36group.co.uk