International & Offshore
Chambers has a strong reputation for litigation in Offshore jurisdictions, supporting our clients who operate in a global marketplace. The prevalence of cross-border contentious and advisory work in relation to commercial and corporate disputes and international trusts and funds reflects the areas in which members of 36 Commercial have expertise.
Our members are instructed in cases arising in (amongst others) Anguilla, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Dubai, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Middle East, Nigeria, Panama, Russia, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Singapore, and the United States.
Our clients include leading Offshore and UK based law firms, and nation states. Members have advised on some of the largest international cases in recent times, bringing together the legal and technical experience necessary to manage high-value, high-pressure disputes, particularly the interrelationship between the onshore financial, technology, information, contractual or mineral resource under challenge and the underlying offshore corporate structure that holds it.
Our services cover complex commercial litigation, cyber security and corruption of IT systems, blockchain and ‘smart contracts’, international fraud and asset tracing, insolvency, and financial services litigation. Areas in which members have international experience include the following:
- Cyber Security, Big DATA, data breach, Crypto-currency, Blockchain, Privacy, regulation, Cyber Insurance
- Commercial contractual disputes, especially in the cyber, aviation, drone law, art and Offshore sectors
- International commercial arbitrations and mediations, and other forms of international dispute resolution
- Commercial fraud, asset-tracing and recovery, freezing injunctions, search and seizure
- Conflict of laws, jurisdictional disputes and enforcement of foreign judgments
- Vicarious liability in fraud claims, actions against advisors for breach of duty, including dishonest assistance and unconscionable receipt.
- Sanctions, other international regulatory matters including responsibilities of professional advisors and cross border investigations.
- Insolvency, company and shareholder disputes, and JV agreements
- HNW Trust disputes
- Yachts and Art
With the international aspects to our work, several members of Chambers have been called to the local Bar of overseas jurisdictions, both ad hoc and on a permanent basis.
As well as expertise in advocacy, both oral and written, our members have been commissioned to write the latest textbooks in commercial practice, cyber security, e-contracts, blockchain and cryptocurrency and cyber insurance.
With over 140 barristers, arbitrators and mediators (which include 18 Queen's Counsel, 3 Senior Counsel from Ireland and South Africa, and a Senior Advocate of the Supreme Court of India), as well as operations in Singapore and Hong Kong, The 36 Group is a truly international multi-specialist set. Our barristers are well placed to assist solicitors, attorneys and lawyers in overseas jurisdictions, established businesses and corporations, HNWs, and entrepreneurs on commercial matters arising at all stages of the business and private wealth management lifecycles.